Butternut Squash, Carrot & Coconut Soup
With the recent time change and weather dipping into cooler temps we've been uncovering our favorite soup recipes as an easy go-to option for a yummy meal. This one comes straight from Claire Dieterich, founder of For The Love Of Gourmet. Not only is it easy to make, it includes many staple ingredients that many of us have on hand.
Prep time: 20 mins, Cook time: 60 mins, Total time: 1 hour 20 mins Serves: 4-5
- 1 small butternut squash
- 5 large carrots, peeled and chopped into large pieces
- 4 tbsp. olive oil ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. ground ginger
- 1 can coconut milk (we love full fat coconut milk for this recipe)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray. *We use parchment paper without any nonstick spray and it works perfectly.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds with a spoon. Place the cut side down on the prepared sheet. Place the carrots on the sheet as well and drizzle with 2 tbsp. olive oil. Cook for 45-60 minutes until tender. Check the carrots after 30 minutes and remove from sheet when tender.
- Heat the remaining 2 tbsp. olive oil in a large pot and cook onions and garlic until tender.
- Allow the squash and carrots to cool, then place in a high-powered blender with vegetable broth with onions and garlic. Puree until smooth. Return mixture to pot.
- Add salt, pepper, ginger, and coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Taste and add more salt if desired. *I tend to garnish with coconut flakes and pumpkin seeds.